Tuesday, April 12, 2011

First post... the post that hurts the most.

Big release day. 
With all due respect to personal faves Super Furry Animals/Gruff Rhys, Spoon, the Black Keys, and the Flaming Lips, I would find myself hard-pressed to argue with anyone telling me that TV on the Radio are the best band working today. Their new album "Nine Types of Light" came out today, and it is yet another in a series of art rock triumphs from five guys who are cooler than you or I can hope to be. I just love/hate them soooo much.
Also out today; the Feelies' first album in forever, appropriately titled "Here Before", begging the question "what have you kids been doing all these years?"; and for the twee/psych/indie-pop fans, Norman Blake of Teenage Fanclub and Euros Childs of Gorky's Zygotic Mynci have hooked up to form Jonny. Their self-titled debut is a tasty minimalist treat.
I also must give a shout out to Black Joe Lewis & the Honeybears' "Scandalous", which is a masterful bit of nasty funk/soul (think Sly meets Mayfield in Funkadelic's backyard with a guest appearance by the MC5) recommended by an old friend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment