Saturday, April 16, 2011

Record Store Day, 2011

As most of you know, today is Record Store Day, a day when music geeks around the world celebrate their favorite independent purveyors of addictive discs of vinyl and plastic by standing in line for hours waiting to spend entirely too much money. For me it is one of the holiest days on the calendar. The following is a little travelogue of my Record Store Day experience.

6:45 - End epic struggle with the snooze alarm and scrape self out of bed.

7:15 - With the help of my extraordinarily patient wife, I arrive at the Electric Fetus just in time to at least be on the East side of the building. I am number 56 in line. Both of these factors are a considerable improvement over last year, when I arrived after 8 and joined the line in front of the Wendy's around the block on Franklin and was saddled with number 136.

7:30 - The energetic pregnant woman immediately behind me in line decides to share her donuts with the people around her in line. Big ups to happy pregnant donut lady.

7:45 Happy pregnant donut lady: "Omigod I love you! I can't believe you brought a higlighter."
Beardy husband of happy pregnant donut lady: "You'd be surprised how often that comes in handy... right next to the Sharpie."

8:00 - Looking around I realize that if I had a license to sell PBR in this line I could make a fortune.

8:15 - Fetus employee comes around offering free coffee. Delightful.

8:30 - Gary Numan's "Replicas" on the iPod helping to pass the time.

8:45 - "Note to self: pocket cup."

9:00 - The Fetus finally opens and I soon find myself packed in with over 300 fellow geeks, thumbing through the CDs and waiting for my number to be called.

10:15 - My number is finally up. Three hours after arriving at the store, I am finally allowed into the "Record Store Day Excusives" area. Sadly, the rekkids with LCD Soundsystem covering Franz Ferdinand are long gone, as is the Kills 10" EP. Being thankful for the donut I received earlier and knowing that I'm already going to spend way too much money, I allow happy pregnant donut lady to take the last copy of the Flaming Lips box set.

10:30 - I ring up my purchases. RSD exclusive scores:
Beth Ditto 12" EP
Gorillaz "The Fall".
Grinderman "Evil" EP on clear red glitter vinyl. I am happy like a little girl.
Grinderman "Palaces of Montezuma" EP on brightly multi-colored vinyl.
Pink Floyd "London 1966/1967" on white Vinyl.
Television "Live at the Old Waldorf, San Francisco, 6/29/78" 2LP on white vinyl. I may weep.
V.A. "Sing for Your Meat: Guided by Voices Tribute" 2LP on multi-colored vinyl with download card. I got the last one in the store. I am a big wiener.
Duran Duran "Girl Panic!" 7" with remix by David Lynch. Totally 80s!
Deerhunter "Memory Boy" 7" on white vinyl.
Green Day/Husker Du "Don't Want to Know if You Are Lonely" split 7" on orange vinyl.
Velvet Underground "Foggy Notion/I Can't Stand It" 7".
Villagers/Charlotte Gainsbourg split 7".
Wild Flag 7" with download card.
I also picked up the new Mojo magazine and a few CDs. Total: $260! Aieee...

Noon - After running a couple of non-RSD-related errands, I arrive at Hymie's Vintage Records for phase 2 of my extravagant orgy of vinyl fetishism. I manage to get in and out spending under $60. Scores:
Sonic Youth "Whores Moaning (Oz '93 Tour Edition" on clear blue vinyl (RSD Exclusive!)
Hoodoo Gurus "Mars Needs Guitars".
Grace Jones "Potfolio".
Iggy Pop "The Idiot" on 180 gram vinyl.
Talking Heads "Making Flippy Floppy/Slippery People Remixes" 12" single.

I am home now, tired and poorer, but happy. Now I have much listening to be done. I gotta go...

No comments:

Post a Comment